Monday, June 14, 2004

A page of my mind

I was just looking through the previous posts and apparently, there's no regular style or frequency as to how I blog. Different thoughts, feelings and situations deserve to be written in the style deemed fit by the author and it's really up to individuals. Some blog a couple of times a day, some daily, some weekly and anything beyond that is not quite right unless it's a topical blog. Keep your blogs fresh, people! In fact, blogging helps aspiring writers, journalists, columnists or editors - erm, like me. Though I don't really have any mega dream or ambition I've been dying to fulfill since young, I most desire to write non-fiction, most probably something encouraging and faith-inspiring.

The unbelievable fact is, I'm now reading 'Emma' by Jane Austen. Yes, I'm reading fiction and I know that may cause a couple of you to raise your eyebrows, not because I don't read but because I read non-fiction more than anything else. That explains why I couldn't get use to reading a book like 'Emma' but surprisingly, I'm beginning to enjoy Austen's style of writing and her way of telling stories through the intriguing dialogues especially that of the protagonist, Emma herself, and her beau, even though her seemingly endless sentences - with multiple commas, semi-colons, hyphens and whatnot - have caused my brain wires to entangle at certain points. As you can see, I'm beginning to write under Austen's influence, but you must pardon me! should I misuse punctuations. See what I mean? Ha.. Well, I'm only through to Volume 1, Chapter 12, folks. Till then!

2 Comments:

Blogger juan said...

"Emmma Woodhouse, handsome, clever and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her" ---opening lines of "Emma"

Now isn't it weird for someone to live for 21 years without much stress? Anyway Ms Taylor her governess gets married in the next 2 paragraphs and herein begins Emma's problem as I see it. She gets bored and starts to matchmake Harriet and it's a total twist of events. The ending itself was rather unexpected. Austen writes with a different style from most of her contemporaries and advocates feminism in her various novels. Haha..do I sound like some book critic? ;p Jan: if you are interested, I could loan you "Sense and Sensibility". Bought a couple of Austen's books when I was crazy about her writing back in JC days.

12:55 PM  
Blogger /Jan-ne-sis/ said...

There's generally nothing much for a woman who's self-sufficient and superior in her own eyes to be stressed about.. and that's also the reason why she has ample time to engage in her 'matchmaking business'..

Juan: I'd think 'Emma' is sufficient for my fiction appetite for now. Will ask ya for more of Jane Austen the next time. Appreciate your kind offer!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home