Friday, August 27, 2004

Pet paws

Inspired by Jon's love for Garfield and Odie, I am thinking of getting myself a pet.

I caught the press screening of 'Garfield The Movie' with 3 girlfriends earlier in the week and I thought we could just as well kill the Monday blues the wise-cracking fat orange cat hates too. Besides being exactly 3 months his junior and feeling occasionally feline, I am far from liking this creature with a stomach full of attitude and lagsana.

Besides, I have often found myself appreciating supporting roles more than protagonists. In this case, yes, I am very fond of Odie - the dopey yellow-furred, brown-eared dog constantly panting with his very large tongue, and often kicked off the table by Garfield.

What you see in the movie is a live version of what the Odie's image projected in Jim Davis' comic strip, but with an extra appeal drawing you to have a puppy like Odie. So with that thought, I began my research and here are my preliminary findings...

The Beagle, supposedly the breed of Odie, has a warm personality, admirable courage and stamina. Eager to romp and play, it makes a trustworthy friend, a great family pet and a good home-watcher.

Studies have shown that the simple stroking of a pet can actually lower heart rate, respiratory rate and blood pressure. Even watching fish in an aquarium creates similar effects. It is both soothing and meditative. Now I understand why my dad constantly puts animals in our living space since I was young.

Pets are good for health, apparently. Unlike relationships with human family members, which can sometimes be difficult or a source of stress, owning a pet can significantly improve overall health, reduce risk of disease, combat loneliness and increase feelings of happiness.

As many are the benefits you can receive, much is required of you. Responsibilities as heavy as raising a child become reality. Consider time, cost, care and compatibility, next to the mandatory condition of unconditional love.

I know I may sound like a SPCA volunteer but until you and I are ready, let's not try this on our own. Till then, catch the oddest pair of friends in extra large size before they quit the mega screen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home