Monday, August 23, 2004

Take my breath away

In case you have been wondering why I went missing in action and why I could only manage an 'I am still alive' blogpost and personality test results for the past weeks, I thought you may like to take a walk through my sick diary.

This time, I was hit by a virus more lethal than that of 2 months ago and once again, I was deprived of talking. To make matters worse, I was unable to connect to the Internet. My modem adapter was broken and my web connection did not reinstate until weeks later.

So here we go...

Fri, 23 Jul: Restlessness; a low-grade fever commenced; Panadol did not work; rest seemed insufficient. Seen doc; started on Amoxycilin.

Fri, 30 Jul: Fever began to subside, but cough took its place. Silly me thought I was about to get well and deemed the cough something to end the bug trail, but it did not.

Fri, 6 Aug: Persistant cough made me sleepless, dry throat made me speechless. My body and mind were only capable of staying home if I can choose not to work or travel. Wished I could be at the National Stadium to catch the breathtaking fireworks for the nation's birthday though.

Tue, 10 Aug: I did not get any better and felt worse in the office. Felt breathless at times; went into coughing fits; could throw out my meals in seconds; simply could not concentrate; felt like dying.

Thu, 12 Aug: Felt sicker by the day and I could take it no longer. Seen the 3rd doc and I was glad he ordered an X-ray for me at Raffles Hospital to exclude a pneumonia.



A consultant radiologist gave a brief report indictating that "the cardiac size and outline are within normal limits. No active lesion is seen in the lung fields." But my doc observed some unusual shadows on the left and suspected a micro-plasma strain, which Amoxycilin is unable to destroy. I was then given a stronger antiobiotic - Clarithromycin, and some other drugs (including asthma pills) and thankfully, 2 days of medical leave.

Sat, 14 Aug: I felt I should 'quarantine' myself for another day and since I was excused from ushering in church, I had better rest at home.

Mon, 16 Aug: Review at the doc's. I felt much better over the weekend and my positive response to the antibiotic confirmed the diagnosis of chest infection I had.

Mon, 23 Aug: I have been well enough to work for the past 6 working days except for a gradually fading cough to clear stubborn phlegm now and then, I should qualify to be 99% well by now.

Despite what I went through, I thank God for my mom and dad, for friends who are praying for me and for wisdom in Dr. Mok to give the right diagnosis and prescription of drugs for my case. Or else, it may not just be a simple chest infection yours truly suffered from. Without them, who knows, I could have seen Jesus sooner than I should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home