Wednesday, June 23, 2004

My DKNY kids

The story began when my dad started engaging a tutor for me when I was at a tender age of 6. Well, you know parents are almost always overly anxious about the first child and my dad probably believed that it is important to start being diligent with learning, even as a pre-schooler. And most would force it upon their kids that they should be right-handed but mine readily accepted that I am a leftie - with pride that I take after my grandpa, whom I would often melancholically miss even though what's left are blurred memories of the short 3 years I spent in his adoration.

Back to my lady tutor, I call her 'Auntie Layhong'. She bought me my first Oxford dictionary, cultivated my attitude of learning and zeal for reading. I owe my second and third positions in class to her.

Besides the tuition hours, we would go for a swim, spend time in the community library, and trot to places of interest around the island together with other tuition kids she had. It's like having another parent and I count it bliss 'cos I never once recollect a trace of impatience or frustration on her cheerful countenance. She's like family and my granny always enjoyed having her around.

She was (and still is) a full-time nurse by day and a homemaker by night after her matrimony. Regretfully, tutoring had to cease in less than 3 years after her first child came into the world. It seemed pretty hard on her to juggle the various commitments especially after she expected her second one... Patience was seeping out of her each day as much care and attention was required of her to build her own family.

Looking beyond my usual mountainous pile of homework, I knew I would miss her. I changed a few tutors thereafter over the span of 2 years and my parents eventually gave up engaging one for me. Somehow, my results and commitment in studying took a nosedive. Bleah.

Despite her quitting as my tutor, she faithfully penned her love in cards and letters for the past 17 years - she will always send her regards to my granny and remember my birthday without fail. Just before CNY this year, she called me out of the blue to say that she's just at my doorstep... It's a pity that I was away at work, but I was definitely happy to hear from her!

I got acquainted with her 3 good-natured kids - aged 17, 16 & 10 - and we became friends within an amazingly short period of time. Ha, apparently, our age gap ain't a big deal at all! They are now attending church together with me and I get real excited sharing about them with my pals... I am extremely grateful to their wonderful mom for everything she has done for me all these years and how more friendships sprouted from ours... And here's an interesting revelation about the names of these dear ones - Darren, Kelly and Younice - wow, which forms the acronym 'DKNY'! Hmmm, has it ever crossed any of their minds I wonder?

And so the friendships continue to grow and bloom... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home