Sunday, June 20, 2004

Mouth wide shut

Having been crippled by the inability to articulate for days, I feel I've been freed from behind the silence bars! A tremendously bad throat infection demands for a course of amoxicillin and lots of rest. Well, I obediently swallowed the prescribed drugs but 'rested' in front of my Lifebook, watching the whole of '流星花园' Part 1 tirelessly! Needless to say, the evidence of late nights beneath my eyes never had a chance to subside...

Yet, it was doubtlessly bliss to hibernate during those days of medical leave and shut-mouth, except maybe for that one necessary hour back at work. Ironically, I was rather happy to shut my gabs and many times a smile or a nod seems sufficient for basic communication.

I thought to myself - which will be worse - not being able to talk, see or hear? I conclude that none of the options above will be tolerable as long as I live! It is then I saw the beauty of God's creation, and begin to re-appreciate the goodness of life and the nitty-gritties around me, which often go unnoticed. Should I lose the ability of speech, I would miss sharing the Word of God, talking to myself audibly and singing. I would dread to continue thinking of the tragic possibilities of 'if I am not able to ________, what will I do/be?'

Silence, though does not seem to contribute any positive factor to effective communication on the surface, invokes more thoughts, contemplation and eventually prayer. I'm sure you've heard the expression that God gave us 1 mouth and 2 ears for a reason. So shouldn't we listen twice as much as we speak? "Be swift to hear, slow to speak.." - James 1:19

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home